Online Friendly ESL Discussion Worksheet: Couple Accidentally Adopts a 650 lb. Pig
CAUTION: There are some graphic images of slaughter houses in the video!
Today you and your students will learn the story of Esther the pig and her owners Steve and Derek. Steve came home with a tiny “mini pig” he got from Facebook. How cute! But then she got bigger… and bigger… and bigger… The story continues with a discussion about factory farming and what Steve and Derek have done about it.
Use this ESL Discussion Worksheet however you’d like, but here’s what we recommend:
- Warm-up ideas: Play the memory game “in my suitcase” with farm animals. Tell a quick story about an encounter you had with a farm animal. What is the strangest type of animal you’ve ever seen as a pet?
- Watch the video once: Ask your students how hard or easy they believe it would be to have this pig as a pet. The link to the video is also on the PDF.
- Vocabulary: Check out the vocabulary on the PDF and answer any questions.
- Watch the video again: Answer the questions on the PDF in pairs.
- Speaking Activity: Put students in pairs to complete the speaking activity – directions on the PDF.
The video: https://youtu.be/_tfY1CBGVH0
It takes a team of 13 to create and produce this material. In order for that to continue, please think about purchasing your own subscription to ESL Expertz and encourage your colleagues to do the same. We appreciate your confidence and support!