Comparing Vacations Activity: Duel!
Compare vacations and practice making comparative sentences using adjectives, adverbs, verbs and nouns with this interactive PDF.
Here’s a fun game to practice comparisons with beginner and intermediate students when coming back from vacation or a small break. Use it as a warm-up, review, end of lesson activity or free practice.
How to use this activity
- This is meant to be a group online activity. However, you could also send the PDFs to students to use it individually, in pairs or small groups.
- Display the game board for everyone to see.
- Choose a card from the middle with two elements by selecting the radio button.
- Then, choose 5 modifiers your students must use to compare the two elements by checking the boxes. We recommend choosing one word from each group.
- Give your students a time limit to come up with 5 sentences comparing the two elements, each using one of the words you chose.
- Students present their comparisons to the class. If their sentences are grammatically correct, they earn a point for each. We recommend letting the other students correct any incorrect sentences.
- Once all the cards have been used, count up the points. The student or team with the most points wins.
It takes a team of 13 to create and produce this material. In order for that to continue, please think about purchasing your own subscription to ESL Expertz and encourage your colleagues to do the same. We appreciate your confidence and support!