Odd One Out: Health Vocabulary
Students find the odd one out and explain why in this online-friendly health vocabulary activity for B1 students.
How it works?
Each card contains 5 words or phrases. One of them doesn’t fit. Students must find the odd one out and explain why. Play as a group or let your students try to find all 9 answers, then check them as a class.
Give a point for each correct answer (the odd one out and the explanation).
You can also give students a point if they come up with a logical answer of their own. Once you finish all the cards, you can also have them come up with their own odd-one-out cards for the class on the topic of health and fitness. This is a great way to prolong the activity and make them think hard about their vocabulary!
Below are the suggested answers:
- knee – the others are organs.
- ambulance – it is not a person.
- take a sick day – the other phrases are things a doctor or nurse might do for you when you have a doctor’s appointment.
- I feel fit as a fiddle – the others are expressions that mean you are feeling sick or ill.
- allergy – the others are verbs related to injury.
- flu – the others are symptoms of an illness whereas the flu is a type of illness.
- faint – the others are verbs related to getting better, or improving.
- diagnosis – the others are places.
- cast – the others are treatments that are (usually) taken by mouth.
Ideas to take it further:
- Set a time limit!
- Have students add elements to each box after the mystery has been solved.
- Students make their own odd one out boxes and challenge the class.
It takes a team of 13 to create and produce this material. In order for that to continue, please think about purchasing your own subscription to ESL Expertz and encourage your colleagues to do the same. We appreciate your confidence and support!